When Ludwig von Staufen started to work on the construction of Staufeneck fortress in 1080, he created a homestead that remained in the Hohenstaufen dynasty for 250 years. From 1333 until its decline, the noble family Rechberg-Staufeneck owns the fortress. From 1599 onwards the lords of the fortress changed frequently through sale or marriage. A period of decline began in 1800; by 1844 the castle was no longer inhabitable and large parts of it had to be demolished.
In 1926, the 27-metre high tower was finally reopened to the public and Hildegard Wörner boldly opens an inn in the western part of the ruined castle. Hildegard’s daughter Lore and her husband Erich Straubinger took over the inn in 1973 and brought the castle complex back to life. With their entrepreneurial skills and hard work, the inn becomes an upscale restaurant with a banquet hall.
In 1990, married couple Erich and Lore Straubinger purchases the restaurant and the fortress ruins from the municipality of Böblingen. Their son Rolf became the chef at Burg Staufeneck. He got awarded with 1 Star Michelin and kept it continuous since than. Their daughter Karin marries her childhood sweetheart Klaus Schurr, who commits himself wholeheartedly to the development of the family-run company.
In 2000, the two young entrepreneurial families buy the entire castle complex and the planned hotel construction can begin. Site-managed by Klaus Schurr, the project is completed in just one year. The opening ceremony is in December 2002. Just one year later, the hotel is awarded five stars by the German Hotel and Restaurant Association DEHOGA. Since 2016 the hotel is awarded with 5 star superior.
The Straubinger and Schurr families assume all responsibilities for the complex and for the management of the hotel, restaurant and catering service. Since then, Burg Staufeneck has consistently been included among the best 30 hotels on the latest hotel and restaurant lists in Germany.
Anselm Schott House
Behind the historic walls, we have additional exclusive rooms. Furnished in dark, earthy tones, these rooms and suites make snug retreats. Modern bathrooms invite opportunities for relaxing time-outs.
The building is named after Father Anselm Schott, who was born here on 5 September 1843. The Benedictine monk is still known today for producing the first German service book. The first Schott service book was published by Herder Verlag, Freiburg in 1884. The fiftieth edition is currently available, as is a contemporary CD-ROM version.